Saturday 8/20 NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Results

Waterford Speedbowl NASCAR Whelen All-American Series 8/20 Results

Pressel returns to SK Modified® Winner’s Circle;

Staskowski, Galvin, Denton, French and Kusheba score other wins on night

Waterford, CT (August 20, 2011) – Waterford Speedbowl returned to action Saturday with a six-division NASCAR Whelen All-American Series racing program including the Legends Cars on Shriner’s Night.  Picking up victories on the evening included Glenn Pressel III of Gales Ferry who scored his second career victory in the SK Modifieds®, Rich Staskowski of Hope Valley, RI picked up his second win of the year in the Bob Valenti Auto Mall Late Models and Josh Galvin of Franklin won for the third time in the Street Stocks.  A popular win went to rookie Garrett Denton of Hope Valley, RI as the teenager won his first career feature event in the Mini Stocks.  Rounding out the winners were Paul French of Andover who won his third SK Light Modified race of the year and Paul Kusheba of Monroe, who took the victory in the night’s Legends Cars feature.  

The 35-lap SK Modified® feature was led to the green flag by Randy Churchill, however it was Pressel who moved into the race lead from the opening lap.  Behind Pressel, Tom Abele moved to second and Jeff Pearl to third as the field worked lap-2.  Tyler Chadwick raced into fourth position with Keith Rocco on the move up to fifth.   The top five in the running order raced nose to tail until lap-6 when Chadwick and Pearl made slight contact entering turn one.  Rocco looked to take advantage by diving under Chadwick down the backchute into turn three, however the move couldn’t be completed sending Rocco spinning in turn three to bring out the caution flag.

Pressel took command on the restart, with Abele being dropped back to fourth as Pearl and Rob Janovic moved in.  Behind them Doug Coby, in his first appearance of the year in the division, got around Abele to take fourth on lap-9.  The top four ran single file as a run of green flag racing settled over the field. 

Pearl was with Pressel through halfway however as the race continued on Pressel began looking stronger, pulling ahead of both Pearl and Janovic by four lengths.  Coby held down the fourth position ahead of Kyle James who had emerged into the top five.  The racing was slowed on lap-25 as Joe Perry spun in turn three. 

Pressel could not be matched on two ensuing restarts with Pearl and Janovic swapping second position over them.  After several laps battling side-by-side Janovic eventually wrestled the spot from Pearl, however Pressel could not be caught. He went on to his second win of the season in convincing fashion.  Janovic and Pearl finished second and third, while Rocco rallied back to fourth position at the checkered flag ahead of Coby, who held back Chadwick in the final laps for fifth.


The Bob Valenti Auto Mall Late Model feature was only slowed by one caution during the 30-lapper, as the competitors received an abundant stretch of green flag racing to compete for the top spots.  Staskowski started on the outside pole, edged ahead of pole-sitter Dennis Botticello to lead the opening lap, eventually pulling ahead from Botticello for good within the first three laps. 

The battle behind Staskowski saw Botticello holding on to second place temporarily, just ahead of three-time champion Bruce Thomas Jr.  He raced inside Botticello to take over the runner up spot on lap-5 just before the lone caution flag waved for a four car incident at the back of the field that jammed up turn one.

Staskowski got away on the restart then pulled out front with Thomas and Anthony Flannery in tow.  A three-car breakaway at the head of the pack saw them move out to a straightaway advantage over the remainder of the race.  Behind them, Brian Andronaco Jr. eventually advanced into fourth position and Jeff Smith into fifth.

The top three positions tightened up over the final laps with Flannery appearing ready to contend for second with Thomas.  As the final two laps began, Thomas actually turned up the intensity on Staskowski, inching his way closer to the leader and keeping Flannery at bay.  Out of the turn four on the final lap, Thomas was able to get his nose under Staskowski but ran out of time to pose a serious threat for the win.  Flannery, Andronaco and Smith completed the top five behind them.

Charles Beal showed the way over the opening circuits in the 25-lap Street Stock feature.  Caution waved on lap-5 for Steve Barrett who spun in turn two, with Chris Meyer in pursuit of Beal after the race was restarted.  Meyer raced to Beal’s outside, taking the lead on lap-6 then moving out to a several length lead as the race stayed under the green flag. 

Galvin was next to get around Beal, doing so a lap later.  Ed Puleo was to Beal’s outside next, taking third on lap-8.  Those two began tracking down Meyer slowly over the middle portion of the race.  By lap-15, the three leaders were all within contention for the race win with Al Stone advancing to fourth position and gaining on the top three.

On lap-17 Galvin darted to Meyer’s outside, inching his way into the lead a lap later.  Puleo jumped outside Meyer after Galvin, taking second position by lap-20.  Stone reached Meyer’s bumper for the final five lap stretch run looking poised to make it a four-car race for the win.  With two laps remaining caution waved, setting up a final dash for the checkered flag.  Galvin got a great restart, going on to his third victory of the year but first since June 4.  Puleo, Stone, Meyer and Mike Caprio finished second through fifth.

The 25-lap Mini Stock feature belonged to Denton from the drop of the green flag.  He made his way into the race lead, cementing his position as a contender from the start.  Following a lap-2 restart, division veteran Phil Evans moved to second position behind Denton.  He shadowed Denton over the remainder of the race.  Division points leader Glenn Colvin raced to third with Ken Cassidy Jr. coming up to fourth before the race hit lap-10. 

Evans was in the neighborhood to pressure Denton over the second half of the race, which stayed under the green flag through to the checkered flag.  The fourteen year old rookie was unflappable, including a final lap challenge through turns three and four.  Denton shook off the bid by Evans to grab his first career checkered flag.  Behind Denton and Evans, Colvin held back Cassidy for third position, while Chris Williams finished a distant fifth.

The 25-lap SK Light Modified feature saw the sparks fly as early as lap-3 when behind leader Bubby Brouwer and Bo Gunning, a three-way battle for third position ended with Joey Cipriano against the turn three wall and Greg Moran Sr.’s machine disabled with suspension damage, drawing the caution flag. 

Brouwer got away from Gunning on the restart, who fell back into the clutches of Chris Correll.  On lap-5 those two made contact headed into turn one with Gunning spinning across the track collecting Tyler Jackson.  The red flag was brought out as Jackson’s car ended up perched atop Gunning’s car against the turn one wall. 

When racing was back to green, David Webb moved into second position to challenge Brouwer. After several laps of testing the leader, Webb looked low entering turn one on lap-13.  The two made contact with Brouwer spinning, returning the race under caution and sending both Brouwer and Webb to the rear for the restart.

French inherited the lead, then went unchallenged to the win over the final laps which were run without further interruption.  Correll finished in second, while Webb stormed back through the pack and raced around Corey Larson on the final lap to claim third. 

In Legends Car action on the night, Kusheba came out on top of a late race tussle with Dylan Izzo in an entertaining battle for the win.  Joey Mucciacciaro held the race lead through lap-4 when Kusheba took over just before a caution on lap-5. 

The lap-5 restart was pivotal as several cars were collected in a hard crash on the restart.  With Kusheba leading back to the green flag, Mucciacciaro’s car careened across the track from third place as the field exited turn four, crashing into second place Giovanni Giarratana. That triggered a chain reaction incident which also collected Dana Dimatteo, Alessandro Vitelli and Angelo Belsito who all made heavy contact on the frontstretch.  The incident drew the red flags to separate the cars and tend to the drivers.  Dave Garbo Jr. was also eliminated from the event.

After the cleanup, Kusheba and Izzo, along with Troy Talman battled hard for control of the race over the final 15-laps.  Talman eventually faded back leaving Kusheba and Izzo to go toe-to-toe for the win.  The two swapped the lead several times in a spirited duel.  After Izzo reclaimed the top spot briefly on lap-18, Kusheba seized command for good coming to the white flag.  Izzo, Talman, Ed Field and Kyle Rogers completed the top-five.



Did you like this? Share it:

Category: Import · Tags: