NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour Statistical Advance: Waterford
Analyzing The Mr. Rooter 161 At Waterford Speedbowl
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (June 17, 2014) - The NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour will head to
Connecticut shoreline oval Waterford Speedbowl on Saturday for the Mr. Rooter 161.
Below is a statistical look at the performance of the tour and selected drivers at
Mr. Rooter 161 Setup:
* Ryan Preece is the defending winner of the Mr. Rooter 161. Preece went on
to capture the season title following his 2013 Waterford Speedbowl victory, as did
Doug Coby in 2012.
* Preece and Donny Lia lead all active drivers in bullring victories with
six apiece. Lia has two triumphs at Waterford.
* Coby is the season points leader after three events with podium finishes
in each outing. Justin Bonsignore is just four points back with an average finish on
* Three drivers are slated to attempt their NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour
debut in this event: Spencer Davis, Craig Lutz and Derek Ramstrom.
At Waterford Speedbowl:
* The facility opened to auto racing on April 15, 1951.
* Waterford is a NASCAR Whelen All-American Series-sanctioned track with SK
Modifieds as the headline division.
* The NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour held 19 races at Waterford from 1985-2013.
* The track has also played host to seven NASCAR K&N Pro Series East races
during its history, and the former NASCAR North Tour visited twice.
* The 161 scheduled laps for the third annual Mr. Rooter 161 is a tribute to
the late Richie Evans, who campaigned the No. 61 on his modifieds.
* The previous 19 races produced 15 different race winners and 12 different
* There has never been a driver earn back-to-back victories at Waterford.
* Jamie Tomaino is the only driver to compete in all 19 previous NWMT events
at the track.
* Four current NWMT drivers have won NWMT races at Waterford, including:
Donny Lia (2), Doug Coby (1), Ted Christopher (1) and Ryan Preece (1).
* Five current NWMT drivers have won weekly SK Modified races at Waterford,
including: Christopher (33), Ron Yuhas Jr. (24), Coby (4), Ron Silk (2) and Woody
Waterford Speedbowl Data
Race: #4 of 14
Track Layout: .375-mile asphalt oval
* Race Length: 161 laps (60.375 miles)
* Banking-turns: 8 to 12 degrees
* Banking-straights: progressive
2013 Race Winner: Ryan Preece
2013 Pole Winner: Todd Szegedy
Qualifying Record: Jerry Marquis (13.618 seconds, 99.133 mph – 10/8/06)
Active Category Leaders at Waterford Speedbowl:
1. Donny Lia … 2
2. Ted Christopher … 1
Doug Coby … 1
Ryan Preece … 1
1. Ted Christopher … 2
1. Ted Christopher … 270
2. Doug Coby … 218
3. Donny Lia … 17
1. Jamie Tomaino … 19
2. Ted Christopher … 15
3. Doug Coby … 9
Wade Cole … 9
Donny Lia … 9