Budweiser Blastoff News & Notes
March 30, 2012
Budweiser Blastoff News & Notes
- 2012 marks the third straight year the Speedbowl season kicks off with the 14-division Budweiser Blastoff Weekend. The Blastoff event was a Speedbowl mainstay for three decades before the big-money Modified Nationals took center stage on opening weekend for several seasons. That event moved off the opener to make room for the modern Blastoff schedule in 2010.
- The current Blastoff event format includes a special SK Modified® feature race in which the lap count matches the track’s anniversary season plus season opening event for the popular Valenti Modified Racing Series and NEMA Midgets.
- A victory at Budweiser Blastoff Weekend often sets the tone for the season. Keith Rocco used Blastoff wins in 2010 and 2011 to race to the Speedbowl SK Modified® championship. Chris Pasteryak used a nifty late race move on Doug Coby in the Valenti Modified Racing Series 100-lapper to take the race win, then went on to his second series title in 2011.
- Blastoff Weekend serves as an initiation to drivers moving up divisions. Lots of new faces took part in practice day at the Speedbowl on Friday, with drivers moving up divisions or drivers from other speedways tackling the Speedbowl for first time visits.
- Well over 100 cars took part in Friday’s Budweiser Blastoff test and tune practice session. In SK Modified® warm-ups over 20 cars took track time including Keith Rocco, Jeff Pearl, Rob Janovic, Nichole Morgillo, Ryan Preece, Todd Ceravolo, Doug Coby and many more.
- Valenti Modified Racing Series practice was on the track from 5:00pm 6:00pm with over 20 teams participating and more expected on the weekend. Chris Pasteryak, Charlie Pasteryak, Louie Mechalides, Jon McKennedy, Jim Boniface, Rob Goodenough, Jack Bateman, Tim Jordan, Mark Bakaj and Larry Barnett were just some of those taking advantage of warm-ups.
- The Budweiser Blastoff Weekend schedule is posted on Speedbowl.com. Fans and competitors are encouraged to stay tuned to the scroll bar and digital media for any updates to the event schedule as necessary.
- On Saturday, March 31 pit gates open at 7:30am with practice for all 14 divisions scheduled to commence at 9:00am. The Valenti Modified Racing Series practice will be from 1:15pm 2:00pm. Qualifying gets started at 3:00pm, including the popular Valenti Modified Racing Series heat races. Feature races for the NEMA Lites, SK Light Modifieds, New England Trucks, New England Four Cylinder Pro Stocks, Legends Cars, Bandolero’s, Super X Cars and X Cars are scheduled to begin at 5:00pm.
- Sunday begins with a Pit Party on the track starting at 9:30am. Features get underway at noon including a 25-lapper for the NEMA Midgets, special 62-lap SK Modified® race, a 50-lap Late Model race and 30-lappers for the Street Stocks and Mini Stocks. The Valenti Modifieds will race 100 green flag laps as the highlight of Budweiser Blastoff.
- Two day passes for grandstands admission are available for $35.00 for adults, $10.00 for youth age 6 through 14, with all kids age 5 and under free. The Speedbowl offers acres of free parking, including overnight parking. Pricing is inclusive of Connecticut Admissions Tax.